Sunday, May 22, 2011

DCUO for Free and I Feel Fine

So, due to me previously having a SOE account, I've been given 45 day free trials to DCUO, Star Wars Galaxies, and of course access back to their other selections of games. Now, having been in DCUO's Beta for a reason I've completely forgotten (I didn't buy the game, must've gotten it from a cereal box or something) I was sort of excited to check it out again, see the completed version and all.

I loaded it up, played for an hour, and promptly turned it off. It has absolutely failed to keep my interest.

I enjoyed the character creation system. I love the voice acting. The combat is a fresh change of pace from other MMO's. And yet...I just can't stick with the game. I played it for many hours during Beta, but now I can't play it for very long.

First of all, it just doesn't feel like an MMO to me. It feels too much like a console action game with the slowest progression ever. The action of the fights and the rate of progression don't match up for me. That, and after a few fights I realized something I realized in the beta: I got the most enjoyment out of the setting and the characters I ran into, and everything else was just a vehicle to get me there. A vehicle I kinda wanted to trade in. I'll be honest, I never got around to grouping in any of my experiences with the game, so possibly that might change it for me. Doing an instance maybe, because I remember being stuck on Killer Croc my first time through.

I'm willing to give it another shot, even try out the other games they gave me for free. But right now Sony is having a worse time convincing me to play their games for free than asking me for my credit card information.

No comments:

Post a Comment